Monday, May 7, 2012

Lovely Food Packaging

Okay so I am a total design nerd when it comes to package design. I know the idiom that states "don't judge a book by its cover," but naturally your eyes are going to be attracted to something that stands out and is well designed. Of course there are going to be those eyesores that stick out for bad design, but that's a whole nother topic. Anyways I love going out and walking every aisle of stores, especially supermarkets to check out different packaging designs. This gives me a chance to browse through various products and grab inspirations for future reference.

Mr. Chocolate
photo via Diego Ramos Studio



















Moustaches have been a big trend in "hipster" design for some time now. Diego Ramos Studio has concocted a product that pleases kids and adults alike. Who doesn't love food mixed with good design? Food packaging has to be my all time favorite seeing how I can buy clever designs and then eat them. These chocolate moustaches are witty and delicious. The head design is a brilliant display for showing off the moustaches. Don't be fooled by this picture, the size of these are larger than you'd think. You'll be able to play with your moustache and eat it too.


Wink's Colorful Packaging
photo via Wink





















One thing that brings me into ice cream shops is the look and feel of the store. I mean ice cream is ice cream wherever you go, but the ambiance of an ice cream parlor brings me back into it. Modernizing and applying design to various products is a simple way to draw in and keep consumers. Wink has designed this clean, whimsical packaging for Honey & Mackie's. The light pastel color palette keeps the design modern and fresh while tending to your taste buds. Don't tell anyone, but I usually take an extra cup just to stash my personal belongings.

Vintage Syrup Design
photo via Neato Coolville




























I'm not a big fan of space, but I adore space-inspired design. When I saw this vintage syrup box, I was in awe of its design. The vector style of illustration is flat yet gorgeous. The coolest part about this box is that the image stretches out when opened. I love interactive design and the way one can connect and play with design. The fact that the backdrops of each image is part CMYK shows how design can transcend time and still be relevant in modern times.

Cutest Ice Cream Design
photo via js.






























I don't know what it is about ice cream design, but it just draws me in. It's probably the fact that I naturally gravitate towards it. This clean package design is striking in terms of "less is more." I feel ice cream design should have a lighter color palette. It reminds me of Spring time and cuteness. No one wants to eat ice cream out of an aggressive-colored cup. Light, bright colors are associated with Summer and hotter weather. It just enlightens your mood and cheers you up.

Fresh Food Design
photo via Tatabi

photo via Tatabi








































Tatabi has designed these packaging for Mayum and what draws me to this is the color palette and illustration style. In these modern times, designs have to be different and stand out. Incorporating illustration into a packaging design is refreshing to see. I love drawing and trying to combine this with design. So when I see illustration on packaging, I get pretty excited. It sets it apart from static designs. Also the simple color palette grabs your attention and makes you want to know more about the product.

Product design is everywhere. Slow down and take some time to actually look at all the various products out there. Think about what draws you to a product and why you buy it. I'm known for buying products based on their packaging. The worst part is I like to keep the packages and end up kind of hoarderish. Being a hoarder is definitely not cool, but having all these amazing designs at the tip of my fingertips keep me happy and I'm fine with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment