Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hooks For Housing

Hello there! It's been a busy couple days but I wanted to share with you something that I love and utilize in many different ways. I'm talking about hooks. Since I have a pretty small room, having hooks saves me space and keeps things organized. Just because your regular shopping center only carries the standard hook doesn't mean you have to settle for them. There are a variety of hooks that you may not have even seen or heard of. I actually have a few lizard hooks where I hang my necklaces. They're kind of neat if you ask me. It's just another small way to enhance your living space and make your life a little more whimsical.
  
photo via TORAFU ARCHITECTS

Finding different hooks have become somewhat of a hobby for me. They're just a small and simple way to modernize your living space without spending too much or buying bigger items you might not like a few years from now. Japanese design company TORAFU ARCHITECTS has created a set of hooks that look like curled pieces of adhesive tape. Not only do they look like tape, they were made in an extraordinary way. They were created by soaking paper, curling them, and then allowing them to dry in that hook position.
photo via Amron Exptl.


















There's a principle that states 'form follows function.' This means that the shape of an object should be based off of it's intended purpose. OFF light switches were created to conserve energy. So the shape of these are in the form of hooks. When in the down or off position, they function as hangers. They are pretty cool as hangers so keeping them in the off position is ideal and helps saves power, just what they were intended to do.

photo via TC Studio




















I'd describe my sense of humor as kind of twisted. I love anything out of the ordinary, kind of dangerous and mysterious. Knife hooks are right up my alley. These hooks were designed by TC Studio, a studio owned by industrial designer Tianyi Chang. I can dream up many design ideas by just looking at these. Imagine having a splatter wall with these hooks on them. Yes, I'd want that too.

photo via DESIGN PUBLIC



















White on white is one of my favorite design aesthetic. I've also become intrigued by deers and antlers. So these white coat racks by Erich Ginder combine these two things so nicely. This coat rack not only looks interesting, but they are handmade. No need to find a taxidermist. These racks has function and form.

photo via Colossal
























As an artist, I love anything related to art and design. Paintbrushes are no exception. Paintbrush hooks are whimsical for anybody, not just artists or painters. Hooks can be used in so many different ways. From hanging to conserving. Rethink the hook and don't settle for second best when there are amazing hooks out there. You just have to look and find which best fits your personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment